Tuesday, December 13, 2011

double espresso onegaishimasu カフェ巣鴨桜宮

I am blessed as a coffee gargling Melbournian to have Cafe Sugamo Sakuramiya literally 2 minutes walk from my dorm. Run by the lovely Kazuya-San and Tomoko-San, the cafe is an intimate single room that embodies a long shared table made from single piece of lumber. The harmonous color scheme of sakura pinks, sand, DeStijl green and natural timbers is warm and homely. As you open the door you are met with the startling Victoria Arduino Two-Group Semi-automatic Venus Bar coffee machine finished is high polished copper, with accompanying coffee grinder. Oh boy is there no expense spared here. I almost fell over when I first entered. Kazuya-San is the commander of his pride and joy and see the care he takes for each cup and for the machine is evidence of  man in love. Ever since going to Italy, I hardly get milk coffee's anymore so double espresso is my usual order. I am no coffee connoisseur however the Mexican-Ethiopian bean blend is just superb as an espresso. The acidity is low and there is a slight fruity aftertaste. Tomoko-San makes friendly conversation with everybody and also takes great pride in serving her homemade waffles (cheese, ice-cream or maple syrup) or cheesecake. All of which are delicious. They gave me a present the other day I assume because of my frequent business and bringing a friend in a couple of times. Today I returned the favor by giving them one of my mothers beautiful oil paintings, The Billy on the Boil, which was accepted with great delight. Kazuya-San was by his lonesome today and he proceeded to tell me he and Tomoko-San had too much sake last night and he was hung over. Hilarious guy. I look forward to the next brew.

To get there take the Toden Arakawa line (single carriage tram line) from JR Otsuka Station (Yamanote Line). Get off at Koshinsuka station (5 minutes) and walk East for about 2 minutes and its on the right.






No comments:

Post a Comment