Friday, December 9, 2011

Nengajo Making Workshop

I have been a fan of the Hello Sandwich blog since stumbling across it months ago. Run by the kind spirited E, an Australian Artist from Sydney, Hello Sandwich runs spin off craft workshops that are held often for fellow craft lovers to participate in a relaxed, creative and social manner. Thursday night was my first, and would say not my last, Hello Sandwich workshop. The agenda was to create Nengajo cards for friends and family (New Years).

The night didn't begin so smoothly as I was coming straight from university and got off a station too early. After misguided directions from the eager Family Mart clerk I was royally lost and 10 minutes late at this point. After a brief phone call to the friendly Miyuki-chan from Commune Gallery, I ran through the dark streets to eventually find the gallery and enter its refreshing white and pop-color environment. I was then stunned to see that two of the eight people part of the workshop were fellow RMIT people that I met a few years ago. The next two hours was a mix of light conversation, laughter, intense concentration (I can't help myself), and ended with little exhibition of our creations. I had all my model making tools in my rucksack, so I made good use of my blades, tweezers and fine-tip pens. The locals at my table were quietly working away however we spoke briefly about what we do and so on. They were all lovely people. E was a lovely host and enjoyed her obvious passion for Japan and craft.

C and S then invited me along with their two friends to dinner. So we then set off back towards Shimokitazawa station to find somewhere to eat. We eventually found a place which C humorously called Chicken on Pig based on the establishments logo being just that: a chicken on a pig. We entered and for two hours we talked about whacky Japanese idiosyncrasies, guitars, ate chicken and pig, edamame (steamed soy beans), and drank beer. After dinner, I parted with the lovely C and S at Shinjuku, and headed home chuffed with the evenings activities after a stressful and grinding day at Uni.

Hello Sandwiches blog post can be seen here...enjoy;
http://hellosandwich.blogspot.com/2011/12/commune-gallery-nengajo-making-workshop.html











No comments:

Post a Comment